Studio Director – Landscape Architecture - Shanghai
We are designers, landscape architects and urbanists connected by our purpose to create projects which challenge and delight, carry impact and meaning whilst enhancing the lives of people and natural systems in an enduring way.
We are seeking a passionate, dynamic Studio Director – Landscape Architecture to join our existing leadership team, based in the multicultural city of Shanghai.
This position forms part of the China / Asia leadership team to realise environmentally sensitive projects and influence the evolution of the landscape practice at this critical time of climatic response. The role involves active co-leadership of the practice, people, and projects across China and Asia operations, bringing city shaping international practice experience combined with local understanding, knowledge, and cultural appreciation.
The Studio Director will be a hands-on design focused creative. A thought leader with the ability to inspire and lead design teams on a variety of project typologies from Landscape Planning and ecological projects to mixed use TOD’s people orientated urban place design.
This role will successfully lead a multi-cultural team, guide and mentor project design teams and individuals, lead knowledge sharing training sessions, manage resources and project requirements, and engage with global colleagues.
This role brings the opportunity to influence and position the global practice with strategies and\ initiatives that address issues impacting the profession and the intersection of humanistic and natural systems.
The ideal candidate will be a leader with proven skill and a depth of experience in Landscape Architecture, complex urban environments, and delivering outstanding sustainable built outcomes.
Candidates must be degree qualified in Landscape Architecture or equivalent, with at least – 15 years post-grad industry experience in design, project delivery, client liaison and team management.
Your advocacy for climate positive design is demonstrated in your design philosophy and experience in ecological master planning. You will have a deep understanding and appreciation for realising a balance between humanistic and environmental systems within the design outcomes. Your industry leadership is demonstrated through your speaking engagements, interviews, and presentations.
You are comfortable working within the high pressure and demanding local markets, working with sometimes rapid and accelerated timeframes whilst ensuring quality, standards and client expectations are exceeded.
Exceptional people and leadership skills, always seeking opportunities to mentor, coach, develop and grow your people and teams, skills, knowledge and understanding.
Candidates must have leadership experience within a creative studio delivering a diverse range of projects and be capable of leading and directing multiple project teams simultaneously. The ability to guide design outcomes, present to clients and undertake project negotiations is critical to this role.
Additional experience required, includes:
- Extensive cultural and industry knowledge and experience within the Asia market, specifically China.
- Leading a range of projects scales from concept design, master planning to design development and review of contract documentation/site support.
- Active involvement in business development and marketing strategies, meeting and negotiating with clients.
- A portfolio of successfully implemented and notable projects within China.
- Develop creative, sustainable, and unique solutions to complex urban problems.
- Lead design quality, including reviewing all work completed by studio teams
- Have a captivating and inspiring character with the ability to influence clients and stakeholders at all levels.
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of the work.
- Be driven by imagination, uniqueness and creativity combined with technical practicality and feasibility.
- Proficient communication skills in English is required. Mandarin language skills would be a distinct advantage but not essential.
Our next Studio Director will possess the skills needed to convert opportunities and lead projects in the international and Asian market. You will be a flexible and adaptable leader who can deliver under pressure. You will have a passion for design and strive to achieve highest standards of design outcomes, and possess strong collaborative and team working capabilities.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and a PDF of work examples under 20Mb in strict confidence to [email protected].
For further inquiries please call Lenae Watson on +61 9417 6844 or email [email protected]