This former industrial and defence site at Neutral Bay on Sydney Harbour has been opened to the community for the first time in over 150 years as a cultural, recreational and commercial hub. Now known as Sub Base Platypus and managed by the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust, the site was the home to Australia’s six Oberon Class submarines between 1967—1999, the RAN’s torpedo maintenance facility 1942— 1997 and the North Shore Gas Works 1876—1932.
After a period of extensive site remediation and completion of Stage 1 capital works, the site is now open for public use. New additions include a park, wharf, playground, barbecues, submariners’ memorial and a harbourside walkway that links the Submarine Wharf to Kesterton Park and the North Sydney Ferry Wharf to the south. A stair at the northern entry establishes a new point of access for local residents, allowing access to the foreshore and public transport. Stage 2 will see the refurbishment and redevelopment of the industrial architecture.